Gambling in China is considered illegal. Residents of the country, regardless of the region, can play only one gambling game, the operator of which is the state itself – the lottery. All other entertainments involving betting are placed in two gambling zones – Hong Kong and Macau.
There are only four types of gambling available in Hong Kong – mahjong, lottery, horse racing, and football betting. Macau has a wide range of card games, roulette, craps, slot machines, and much more. Macau is a Chinese casino city, comparable to Las Vegas in the United States. The gambling capital of China is a popular tourist center where junket tours are organized.
Gambling in Macau
In Macau, the gambling business is regulated by the Macau Chief of Administration and subsidiary bodies – the Gaming Inspection and the Coordination Bureau. The head of administration is in charge of determining gambling policy and licensing casino operators in Macau.
Subsidiary bodies coordinate and control the gambling market, and also issue special licenses:
- gambling promoters;
- creators of electronic equipment for casinos;
- manufacturer of equipment for gambling (cards, dice, chips, etc.).
The actions of local authorities are subject to the Macau Gaming Law. The law sets out the legal framework for the organization of commercial gambling. Also, there are several clarifying acts:
- Instant Lottery Law – regulates the supply of instant lotteries;
- Illegal Gaming Law – contains a list of games and equipment that are considered illegal;
- International Gaming Tender Regulation – a law that allows foreign entrepreneurs to organize a gambling business in Macau;
- Gaming Promoters’ Regulation – an act regulating the field of promotion and advertising of gambling, as well as the organization of junket tours;
- Gaming Credit Law – regulates lending to casino operators and gambling industry promoters;
- Junket Commissions Regulation – describes the boundaries in which promotional companies organizing junket tours receive commissions;
- Electronic Gaming Machines Regulation – controls the issuance of licenses to manufacturers of equipment used in casinos.
The legal framework allows the development of the gambling business in Macau and the attraction of foreign entrepreneurs to the development of the gambling zone.
Best Macau slots
Check out the list of the best online casinos in Macau that provide various bonuses and privileges to players and are famous for their fast payouts:
- Ruby Fortune
- JackpotCity Casino
- Spin Casino
- Bet casino
- Play Amo
- Online Gambling in Macau
All types of gambling are allowed in Macau: land-based casinos, gaming terminals, lotteries, poker, and sports betting. The legal status of online casinos in Macau and gambling, however, is in limbo, as Macau authorities do not issue licenses for online gambling or prohibit online gambling activities. This way, users can gamble online without worrying about the consequences. This is in stark contrast to other neighboring gambling regions such as mainland China, Singapore, and Taiwan, where online gambling is strictly prohibited.
Here, online gambling is called an interactive game. Interactive games are defined according to the following criteria:
- For the game, any external device is used – a mobile phone, personal computer, laptop, tablet, etc.
- Entertainment is presented in the form of a board game or video slots.
- Players deposit money or currency equivalent to money for the game session
- During the game, the user can win money or a special currency, which is subsequently exchanged for real money.